Easy Low Cost, Low Syn Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
With it’s origins suggested as being anywhere from India to Scotland, the sweet tasting chicken tikka masala is fast becoming the nation’s favourite takeaway dish. I love a good takeaway. But, I always have a deep pang of guilt when I order them, not only because of the price tag, but also the calories!
I’m blessed with the type of metabolism that means I can eat what I like without it showing, yet. This is not that case for most in my family. So, in an attempt to make it friendly in terms of calories, I’ve developed a cost effective, easy, slow cooker, slimming world chicken tikka masala recipe.
Does a slow cooker Slimming World chicken tikka masala really work?
In theory, some meats like chicken can dry if cooked too long. However, this recipe has enough liquid from the ingredients, meaning it doesn’t dry out. In fact, you can easily shred the chicken once ready, just like you might a pulled pork recipe. Tasty!
There’s no need for brand labels, a supermarket’s value range will do fine and you can make it even cheaper by making a vegetarian version if you chose to.
Chicken Tikka Masala Ingredients approx £7.20 (Feeds approx 6 at £1.20 per person)
Approx 700-800g chicken breast fillet, cut into 1½-inch chunks (source from the reduced section use frozen, or consider musclefood)
1 large onion, finely chopped or 1 cup frozen diced onion
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger (small chunk about the size of your thumb from the supermarket)
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 carton of tomato pasata
1 tablespoon Garam masala
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or chilli powder, depending on your heat preference.
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon stevia-based sweetener, or if you’re happy to add a few syns/calories, use 4 table spoons runny honey.
Slow Cooker Slimming World Chicken Tikka Masala Directions
- This part is optional, but to make this recipe really sing with flavour I suggest cooking out your onion in a frying pan first. This releases their sweetness. However, if you’re in a rush or prepping this to cook in the slow cooker before you head out to work, you can just shove it in.
- Combine all ingredients directly in a large slow cooker. Using a large spatula, stir to combine everything, making sure that the chicken is completely coated. No need to brown the chicken.
- Place the lid on and cook the chicken tikka masala for 6 hours on a low setting (or until you get home from a day’s work – It’ll smell lush!).
- If you need to thicken the sauce at the and you can either use a small amount of Quark (which I hate), or arrowroot and allow to simmer in for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with either rice, a cucumber raita or wraps (as a HEB – Healthy Extra) quartered and quickly puffed up in a pan with syn free fry light.
- Serve the chicken tikka masala straight away with a sprinkling of parsley on top. Store in the fridge for a few days, or freeze for a handy quick meal.
Liked my chicken tikka masala recipe? Why not try out some of my other slimming friendly recipes like my slimming world chilli con carne, slimming world crustless quiche, or even check out my top frugal diet friendly recipe collection in my savvy slimming world eats. Remember whenever you’ve sourcing your ingredients to compare the supermarkets and consider my tip of using the Asda Price Guarantee to your advantage wherever possible.