Last year, Lidl’s cheap mince pies beat Fortnum and Mason in the taste tests, and for only a 19p each! Can they do it again this year for pennies? We’ll be testing them over the next week or two (all in the name of research obviously).
Savvy and cheap mince pies and festive feasts for pennies.
Cheap mince pies Ingredient list:
FOR THE CHEAP MINCE PIES FILLING
1 orange (10p)
1 Lemon (15p)
3 tspns Mixed Spice (10p)
1 tspn Cinnamon (5p)
FOR CHEAP MINCE PIES PASTRY
350p Plain Flour (10p)
75g Lard (10p)
75g Butter (20p)
Splash of Milk (3p)
Icing Sugar to dust (2p)(Optional) Boozy Version:
4 Tablespoons Brandy (£1.05)
Cheap Budget Mince Pie Method
- First, weigh out the lard, butter (fats), cut into cubes and add them to a blender or bowl.
- Sift flour and tip into bowl slowly mixing until crumbly.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water and mix again, bringing it all together
- If you have time rest for 30 minutes to 1 hour in the fridge, and towards the end of this time preheat the oven to 400°F, 200°C.
- Divide the dough, into two pieces, this depends on how thinly you roll it. So roll it as thinly as possible, then use the cutter to cut the rounds from one piece and place into tins. Save any spare for decoration shapes, like stars, on top.
- Mix the spices, dried fruit, chopped apple and zests of the fruits (plus some of their juice) with 100ml water and simmer in a pan until softened; add sugar. Let cool. (Tip: If making the boozy version add brandy now).
- Add one rounded teaspoon of the fruit mix to each pastry parcel.
- Next, roll out the other half of the pastry. Then use a smaller cutter before dampening the edges with milk and press them lightly into position on top of the mincemeat for lids, sealing the edges well, or use star shapes. (NOTE: If you choose to can make open cheap mince pies to make the pastry go further and make more).
- Next, brush the mince pies with milk, pierce with a fork, then bake them on the top shelf of the oven for 20 minutes.
- Finally, let cool on a wire rack and, when they’re completely cold, place in storage.
- This will make about 30 cheap mince pies.
Still Want More Festive Frugality?
For extra alternative ideas this Christmas, try out my Ultimate Christmas Trifle on a budget.