wayleave payments

Wayleave Compensation Payments: What are they and how do I claim?

Wayleave Agreement Wayleave Payments

Across the UK large metal power pylons have long divided opinion. Maybe you have overhead electric cables to house and residential areas nearby. Some people view them as essential, others as unsightly and intrusive. Whatever the point of view you hold, the power needs to travel from source to destination somehow. But if you’re blighted by power lines, pylons and posts, there may be a silver lining in the form of wayleave agreements or wayleave payments.

What is a Wayleave Agreement or Wayleave Compensation Payment?

Essentially the WCP is a payment made to an individual. This payment is for the passage of high voltage power over their land. Effectively the power company is “renting” space above your drive or garden. This is for power lines or land space for poles.

Not everyone is entitled to these wayleave payments though, which is where things get tricky. Firstly, compensation can only be paid “once”. This means if you’ve claimed before, or the previous owner claimed, then you’re out of luck. With this in mind if you’re looking at claiming on the huge metal pylons, thing carefully. You’ll have to be very lucky as they’ve likely been claimed on by developers and previous landowners.

Things get interesting when you scale wayleave compensation down for single wooden poles. These are less conspicuous than their larger metal companions and most of the time, if you have them travelling over your land, you’ll rarely bat an eye. These are the poles and lines that have been claimed on less.

Savvy Dad readers’ looking out of their windows will likely notice all manner of wires cutting their way through the landscape. Possibly even overhead electric cables to house and building structures in the area. However, it is important not to confuse telecoms lines with power lines. Generally speaking, rural villages and suburbs are those that would most likely have wayleave agreement claim potential.

Think you might have wayleave agreement payment claim potential?

We would be doing our readers disfavour if we didn’t point out that claiming any payments due to you as a landowner can be done by yourself alone. However, unlike the recent years where people have been claiming back their PPI themselves, wayleave claims can be trickier, more lengthy and ultimately unsuccessful if you’re not eligible for any reason. So it is with a slightly heavy heart that we admit it might be worth considering using the larger chartered surveyor firms who are currently offering to take on your claims for you. These firms, in exchange for a percentage, will pursue, investigate and sort the claims resolution for you. If you’re uncomfortable doing it yourself, or wary that you may need to use a solicitor at some point to act on your claim, then these surveyor firms are the next best bet.

Please be aware that you should NEVER agree to any firm taking on your wayleave claim for anything less than a “no win, no fee” type offer. Looking at the biggest surveyor firms assisting claims at the moment they offer to do everything in exchange for 10-20% of the claim’s worth.

To find out which energy company is responsible for your lines you’ll need to consult the ENA Website where you’ll find information in addition to this article along with details of whether claims have already taken place.

Some company’s such as Western Power detail their power lines on a map on their websites. They also have Western Power wayleave information and details of policies and claims procedures for Western Power wayleave compensation. It’s worth checking your local supplier’s websites for something similar.

Is it worth claiming for Wayleave compensation?

In short, yes. There’s no hard and fast rule to the value of payments. In theory, they take into account how the posts or lines impact on your property value, access and scope for development. We would always say expect little, be surprised by a lot. The payments can range wildly from 1% of your property value to 4%, certainly something worth pursuing.

This is why we mentioned earlier using a wayleave agreement surveyor to claim for you. They’re skilled in the field, and ultimately are far more likely to negotiate a larger payment. A larger payment that would most likely negate the percentage you’d give up to them in their commission. It also means you can sit back and let them pursue the wayleave claim, which can take up to nearly two years. Plus if you’re home is mortgaged, they’ll assist working with your mortgage lender. This is important too as “technically” they still own your home.

We make no recommendation for which wayleave company you might use, as this claim process CAN be done yourself. But for reference, the claim company with the biggest track record (but sadly the highest wayleave commission) is Thomson Broadbent

We’re currently pursuing this ourselves, so we’ll update this article as we need to. Please chip in with comments of wayleave payment successes, issues, or failures. Use the comments section below, particularly if you’ve claimed yourself. We’d love to hear your experiences.

For other ways to supplement your income or boost your savings why not check out how to save money on food costs with extreme couponing or how to get double savings on supermarket shopping.


  • Angela Wilkinson

    December 8, 2017 at 7:39 pm

    I have a single pole in my front garden. I have contacted Southern and Scottish power who have confirmed that nobody has previously claimed and they have today offered me £1.93 a year or a 15 year payment of £200. This seems very low are they trying it on do you think?

    • savvydad

      December 12, 2017 at 11:14 am

      Broadly speaking the value you’ll get depends on the location, impact on property and amount of poles/lines. That being said it does seem quite low. The thing you have to decide is commission companies can often negotiate a bigger deal (but take a cut) as they know the finesse of the system. I’m presuming you’ve done this direct, which is great – but you need to decide is £200 is acceptable to yourself. Ultimately it’s £200 you wouldn’t have had. Let us know how you choose to proceed, we’d love to hear how you get on.

  • Geoffrey Harris

    January 3, 2018 at 12:37 pm

    It seems a very small amount to receive? I keep getting letters from Thompson Broadbent offering their services at 20% plus VAT. Now whilst every little helps I wonder if it is worth bothering? I have to low voltage cables crossing my front garden, not insulated and the power company keep saying they are going to replace them but it never happens. Should I claim?

    • savvydad

      January 3, 2018 at 9:09 pm

      Honestly, I wouldn’t like to make the decision for you. What I would say is personally I’d consider my expected time I would be staying in the property. If I was planning moving home in a few years I’d claim as it takes so long to actually “get” the payment finalised and through. If I was in my “for life” home, I’d be inclined to give T&B a call and see what they think they “might” get. Remember they hold case studies and bargaining power due to precedents they can cite. Ultimately though, it does seem a low amount so even is T&B get a little more 20% fees might still be worth it due to the difference they could get.

  • P Arbuthnott

    May 15, 2019 at 9:35 am

    I have a single pole in my garden which feeds electricity solely to my house. I have been told that I am therefore unable to claim anything as it is only for my use. I also have a large support cable for a pole in my neighbours field, and again I have been told I am unable to claim anything. Should I accept this response?

    • savvydad

      May 17, 2019 at 5:53 pm

      Did you apply direct, or use a company to apply on your behalf? Potentially, if the pole only serves your property, I think they may have a defence again payments. However, the company applying on your behalf (if you used one) should have details of the application and rationale for opinion.

  • Len

    July 30, 2019 at 12:18 pm

    I’ve just bought a property with a wooden pole in the garden. Several wires run from it. Some to me, and others I can’t be sure about as they are obscured by trees. The neighbouring property is quite some distance away.

    I see that you can apply on the UK Power Networks site, but do you think it would be better to use a wayleave company?
    If you apply yourself and reject an offer, can you then go to a wayleave company?


    • savvydad

      July 31, 2019 at 3:00 pm

      As far as I am aware you can only “accept” one offer of compensation. So, in theory, if you felt you hadn’t been offered a fair deal when going direct yourself, you could reject and use a third party. The benefit of this would be the company, such as the one mentioned in my article, would have experience and usually leverage a higher payout. The negative is they would obviously skim commission of your amount coming back. One thing to note is if someone has claimed previously on the property you won’t be eligible. Let us know how you get on Len.


Leave a Reply